How many times are you going to read on this thing how my week was busy, lots of bikes & loads of new clients… Many many more. Today is no exception. “Be careful what you wish for…”… I’ve heard this a lot lately. When I stand back and look at what I’ve accomplished in such a short time, I do get a touch emotional… Not too much mind you that’s just not manly. All that I wished, all that I dreamt came true. I couldn’t have done any of it without you. With the “637” chapter just passing it’s 1 year mark, I think its time to reminisce a bit. I’m going to add an “about” page to the website, a timeline if you will. Now on with the ramblings…
- Party: This Sunday is our 1 year anniversary of the Solana Beach store! That was super quick. If you haven’t received an invitation in the mail/facebook/email then think of this as your personal invite! We will be celebrating at 3:30 till 9ish Sunday the 30th. Montalban Quintet will be filling the hangar with jams, Bull Taco will be filling our belly’s with street taco’s (while supplies last..) and friends will be filling our ears with laughter. I am really looking forward to it and I hope you are too.
- New Product: We picked up a few new products in the past couple months. We are carrying Osprey Hydration packs & Skratch Labs Nutrition. If you haven’t heard of Skratch (formerly known as Secret Drink Formula).. Where have you been? Skratch is the brainchild of Allen Lim, Bike Nutritionist/Training Scientist extraordinaire… Come in to the shop and try some out. I usually have at least one flavor for sample. 40 serving container is $19.50, single serving is $1.50. Osprey Packs should also ring a bell.. Founded in 1974, Osprey has been in the trenches, up the precipices & into the abyss. Like Velo Hangar itself Osprey is the highest quality pack on the market. Super happy to have them on board. We have a few examples of the Raptor Series & Synchro in stock.
- New Kit: The Pro Velo Hangar kit has arrived and subsequently almost completely sold out… We do have women’s jersey’s & bibs in stock. Men’s kits on the other hand… Well to say I am surprised would be a lie, this kit was one I’ve been working on for many months now (Thanks to Embry Rucker, James Gilbert & Bridgette for all the help!). It turned out exactly as I designed it! The folk at Squadra are true artisans. Men’s Pro kits are diminishing rapidly. As of this exact moment we have 1 XS jersey, 2 XL, 2 XXL & 1 XXXL. You could say I’m into X’s I guess. Small, Medium & Large Pro jersey’s sold out in less than 2 days. Medium bibs sold out in 3 hours, Yikes!
- Gray Team Kits: All sizes back in stock. This is the go to kit for me. Aesthetically pleasing. This kit will always be produced, it might be updated here and there but that will be a rolling change. We also received a few extra Orange Limited Edition jersey’s in the last shipment. These will be the last batch. I have 2 S, 1 M, 1 L & 1 XL in stock (as of this post).
- Apparel: Since it is our 1st Anniversary, I thought it only made sense to reissue the 1st T-shirt I designed and produced as well as the 1st cycling sock. We have all sizes of the VH Vertical Stripe sock in stock. We also have Women’s & Men’s VH Stealth T’s in stock. T’s are $20 and socks are $8 while supplies last.
- Vegas and that thing called Interbike: I went, I talked & I conquered. I use Interbike for networking. The bummer is that Interbike used to be about hearing and seeing the new product. Problem is that all the new bits and baubles are introduced to us month’s before the shows (including Eurobike). Everyone wants to get their product to the masses first, it takes the mystique out of the shows. So instead I use it to meet face to face with my vendors, kiss hands & shake baby’s. Cross Vegas was amazing! Caught glimpses of several VH T’s in the wild, Surprised by an appearance of a VH LE jersey in the Industry CX race (thanks to Bryan Hill of Rehab United) & witnessed one of the most impressive rides by Jeremy Powers. So happy to see Team Rapha Focus dominating CX. Sending good juju to Julie Krasniak, Gabby Day, Jasmin Achermann, Chris Jones, Zach McDonald & Jeremy Powers this season!
T: Gray VH Stripe
Sock: OG VH Stripe
Song: “The Audience is listening” by Cut Chemist
Where: Cafe Ipe
Why: Just finished my root canal with Dr. Howard.
What: Macbook Pro
Wow just wow. I cannot express how much I appreciate the love I’ve been receiving from San Diego! This crazy little idea I concocted back in 2010 has become a reality. It’s cool looking back at pictures from those early days, funky reading old emails to colleagues or reminiscing with friends. Thanks to you, Velo Hangar is thriving! A special thanks to Laurel (@velobarista on Instagram) for putting up with me and helping me build the business so rapidly. I might still be in my garage if it wasn’t for her.
Velo Hangar has been in our Solana Beach (Eden Gardens) location for just a little over a year now. I have several new apparel pieces on the horizon including a new “Race” kit to compliment the “Team” kit. Several new T-shirts on the way as well. Keep it fresh but not too fresh.
Here are a few pics from the last couple months…
As some of you may know, I left this morning for a quick 4 day trip to the Bay Area. I’m visiting my good friend Tony, he has been gracious enough to offer a roof and a floor. Mill Valley is my home away from home (Louisville too…). It is a bit ritzy but, I love the downtown area & the walking trails are fantastic….
Check our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/vhangar and Instagram (@_velohangar_) for updates & pics.
T-shirt stuck to me: Stealth VH
Song stuck in my head for the last 500 miles: Avett Brothers “I and Love and You”
Socks smelling up the room: 1 VH logo & 1 VH stripe
Glasses on my head: Oakley Frogskins Matte Black/Violet
I hope for Laurel’s sake this post has less fewer type-O’s…
Shop is still open by the way! Guest wrench is Matt J formerly of B&L Solana Beach fame.. Go say hi and buy something while I’m gone.
Thanks as always!!
It’s no wonder that the sparseness of my posts correlates to the workload at the shop… Please be patient. There is always so much going on. It amazes me how much I actually get accomplished with how little time I have. Needless to say the shop is on fire, figuratively. I’ve brought in a close friend that can help me with some projects that keep getting put on the back burner. It’s absolutely a dream and a life saver to know someone that has a similar work ethic, attention to detail & unbelievable skill. Very lucky to have MJ helping me part time.
Laurel and I are happy to bring in a few new brands to the shop this early into our tenure. We recently added Kask Helmets from Italy (helmets worn by Team Sky as well as Heather Jackson in the triworld).
As most of you know, I only stock items I absolutely stand behind. If I’m not using it, I’m not selling it.
We are also now carrying thecouch coveted Tate Labs Bar Fly for your Garmin Edge 200, 500 & 800. Woody Tate is a friend who works in Mill Valley at Above Category. If you don’t know what or who AC is drop what you are doing and drive there immediately! The Barfly (that’s bar fly not barf-lee like Laurel says) mounts to a standard 31.8 handlebar and puts the Garmin in front of the stem which honestly cleans up the cockpit on your bike. Nothing like buying a $270 ENVE Composites stem only to tarnish it by wrapping elastic bands around it to hold a computer…. Yuck! The third product I’d like to introduce is near and dear to my heart.
I’m excited and proud to introduce Velo Hangar Black Ops coffee produced by Revolution Roasters! Back in 2010 when I started the Velo Hangar brand, I wanted to create unique products that were different from the normal bike shop items. I wanted to keep the quality high and the production low, create a demand, create a following, create a unique atmosphere… Not just another cookie cutter bike shop. When I finally saw the passion & detail Rev Roasters put into their product I realized I needed to team up with them on a VH blend. The VH Black Ops coffee is a blend of Guatemalan & Brazilian which creates a very smooth mild coffee. It’s perfect as an espresso but equally as good in a French press or drip. We are offering Black Ops in 1lb & .5lb bags ($15/$9 respectively). If you are in Leaucadia please stop by Cafe Ipe (Revolution Roasters is located inside) and have a taste? Velo Hangar Black Ops is only available from our shop. stop by and we can pull you a sample.
A huge thank you to all who have expressed interest in supporting my brand and especially to those who are!!! Without you I might still be in my small garage in Cardiff, sweating out of all my pores, sweating my next bill, sweating my future…
So the next post might be awhile.. I constantly try to remind myself that I need to write something but, free time is nonexistent.
Life at the shop has really bogged down my blogging. Hopefully most of you are following the shop progress & my progress on the various forms of communications (Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc). Lots of projects I’m working on as well;
- We are working on our own blend of espresso beans (with Revolution Roasters)
- I have a couple new water bottle designs in the works (one I have been working on for several months and now I think its close to production)
- New T-shirts (one to go with the coffee beans)
- I have a “Velo Hangar” Tech T, MTB style jersey on the way
- I’m designing a new LE jersey as well as a “Team Issue” kit which should be available by this fall
- A new design of Velo Hangar socks will be arriving in the next month or so (Think Black & Tall)
Etc, Etc…. You get the idea. Not to mention having the busiest Month ever! I have a friend helping me at the shop that I used to work with. It’s nice to have a backup helping me with the easier tasks and/or the repair “I” don’t need to work on. I can focus on the problem children. I’d also like to thank Laurel aka Lauren for taking up the slack and helping with the orders, paperwork, flat fixes, bill paying, sweeping, lunch delivering, bike pickup…
Next week marks the first experiment of vacation… a bit scared of the fallout. Bjorn and I are road tripping up to the Bay area for some R&R, hopefully some MTBing, killer food/drink (his brother in law works at one of my fav restaurants in Napa) & maybe a hike. I really just need to unplug. Both of us have recently started new chapters and need a rest. Can.not.wait!
Next Week (3/19-3/22)
I’ll be in the shop 10-7 Monday through Thursday.
Starting Friday (3/23) I’ll be out of the shop until Tuesday (3/27). I will have phone privileges but, email will slim. If urgent you can direct your messages to email@example.com
Hope to see you this week before my trip! If you need a pre Cali 70.3 race check get the bike in before next wednesday (3/21).
T-Shirt: OG Velo Hangar Black on Black
Song: The Temper Trap “Sweet Disposition” – Jamie T “So lonely was the ballad”
Drink in Hand: Kentucky Mule (Buffalo Trace & Cock and Bull Ginger Beer)
Closest bike in proximity: 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 (Black N Blue)
On the mind: Restock of Velo Hangar kits should arrive this week, Loads of “events” this week, a couple new branding projects in the works, parents arriving in a couple weeks, Karen’s Birthday Bash at the shop,….
Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! I can’t wait to get back to the grind tomorrow!
It’s hard to believe after only 12 months after the 1st kit arrived, there are over 180 kits sold! So if you live in San Diego this challenge should be relatively easy. The task at hand is to take pictures of as many riders wearing their VH kits as you can. It can be a pic with 4 riders or 4 pics with riders… Creativity & Candor always helps.
- Contest begins tomorrow Jan.5th.2011.
- Contest ends Jan.12th.2011
- You can email the photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post them on http://www.facebook.com/vhangar
Winner will receive a Velo Hangar Prize Pack including a VH Camelbak Podium bottle, Limited Edition VH T-shirt, VH sticker pack & a surprise gift. Photo’s will be published in print & digital media (with permission).
Warm up those smartphones and get snapping!
Gotta change that. December was a big month. Started riding a bit more than usual, The Campagnolo Annual Toy Drive ride took off without a hitch, our Belgian Holiday Party was a HUGE success (over 200 attendees), spent time with family at Christmas… the list is endless. I keep thinking back to this time last year. I was in a different frame of mind. VH looked good on paper. Finding the capital to make it happen looked impossible unless I was willing to let go of the reins and change the concept… Looking back I’m glad I didn’t.
I started Velo Hangar as a brand. I used what little money I had to make t-shirts and stickers, build a little following. Start the brand underground style. I quickly sold out of the t’s making a little & designed a cycling kit (jersey, bibs, arm warmers, vest..). When I posted the jersey design I was amazed by the response. The 1st kit order exceeded my expectations! Maybe I was on to something…
Now look at Velo Hangar! A full-fledged brick & mortar Bicycle Service Shop… The shop is exactly as I had imagined, down to the layout I had sketched in my notepad a hundred times. I want to Thank Everyone out there that has stood by VH through thick & thin, stayed interested in the “progress” of the shop, continued to refer friends & family, stopped by to hang out & have a coffee. I am super excited to make 2012 even better!
It’s that time of year again… Holiday party time. Boring eggnog, cheesy strands of holly draped over doorways, twinkling neon colored lights…
We’ve decided to break from the norm and have a Belgian Holiday Party. Frites, Waffles, Chocolate, Beer, Cycling Movies, Beer. There has been rumor of a raffle & a storewide discount, all TBA.
- Sunday December 18th
- 3:00pm to 8:00pm
- 637 Valley Avenue #C, Solana Beach 92075
Please RSVP to email@example.com if you plan to stop by. Gotta figure out how much food so we don’t run out again… oops.
October 21st marked the 1 year Anniversary of Velo Hangar. The concept, the brand, the idea, it all was kickstarted when I left B&L 1 year ago. When I think back it was a stressful time. The uncertainty. Looking forward, I’m really excited for what’s to come. VH has come such a long way in the few short months, Thanks to you!
Some friends and I recently brewed our own beer & although I worked while most of the process occurred, I really like the simplicity. I can’t wait for the next batch. The first batch was a simple Pale Ale. We need to figure out the next one soon maybe a Saison…
- Song on right now: Spoon “All the pretty girls go to the city”
- Favorite apparel right now: Patagonia R3 vest
- Bike most ridden this week: SyCip Road
- Book on the nightstand: Hell and Gone
- Fav electronic: Apple iPad2
- Chain Lube: Gnar Lube “Blue Opal” with stripper scent
- Future project: Thinking of adding a carbon road bike to the stable…