This message is on behalf of our friends at the California Bicycle Coalition.
GiveMe3 is CalBike’s campaign to get drivers to give a safe three feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist. Assembly Bill 1371 amends the Vehicle Code to specify three feet as the safe passing distance. Twenty-one other states have enacted similar legislation. Tell Governor Brown it’s time California do the same!
Over forty percent of fatal bike crashes are caused by motorists passing unsafely. And yet, Governor Brown vetoed our previous two “3 foot” bills. With your help today, the third time could be the charm. Please send this email urging Governor Jerry Brown to sign AB 1371, and require California drivers to give a safe distance when they pass you on your bicycle.
Thank you for your help putting grassroots pressure on Governor Brown today to make our streets safer for us all.
On Sunday 7th July 2013 join thousands of women around the world to ride 100km. The aim is to create a global event, with thousands of women taking to the road to complete a 100km journey. The 7th July is the date of the Etape du Tour, the amateur cyclist’s chance to ride a major mountain stage of the 100th edition of the Tour de France. Rapha are sending 100 women to ride the sportive, which will form part of the day’s festival of riding. The Rapha Women’s 100 is not a competition to see who is the fastest, it is about gathering a global community of women around the world to take part in this shared adventure.
Join Women Cyclist, Velo Hangar, Diana Aquire at Velo Hangar 637 Valley Avenure in Solana Beach for the San Diego Rapha 100 ride. Let’s gather our communtiy and ride. RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/calendar#!/events/174109582737213/
Please join us Saturday June 29th 4pm to 7pm for a fundraiser benefiting the Arthritis Foundation’s California Coast Classic (CCC is a 500+ mile ride down the California Coast)
We will be serving beverages including custom Margaritas & snacks. Lots of Raffle items and door prizes!
Last year was a blast! Hope you all can make it!!
Not many can say this, much less relate, but I can’t wait to get back to Velo Hangar. It’s not that I’m worried about what may have happened while I was gone, I’m not. I have a wonderful, under appreciated, knowledgeable team at VH. I’m sure Laurel & Matt had a great week! ( especially being Gordon free..). It’s more about what Velo Hangar is to me. It’s not just a bike shop, it’s not just my workplace, in a way it’s my “family”. Sounds weird I know.
When friends go out of town wether its overnight or for a few days, they miss their kids & family. I might not have a wife & kids but I do have Velo Hangar. You guys are my family.
I’m back in the shop tomorrow & honestly I can’t wait to see each and every one of you..
Thank you for the VH love!
Nope not talking about the weather we had a couple weeks ago in San Diego. I’m talking about my upcoming vacation in Kentucky.
Yep, I’m going home, for a week possibly to remember how much I love California. I am heading back for the 2013 UCI Cyclocross World Championships. It will be a historic weekend especially since it’s the 1st time CX Worlds have been outside Europe. Somehow Louisville won the bid… crazy. I also decided to take a few extra days to visit my family and some friends I haven’t seen in many years. Sounds like there are a lot of San Diegans joining me in my home state for the race. Keep your eyes open for photos of my trip..
For those of you smart enough to stay here in Cali where I am sure the forecast will be sunny and warm, the shop will be open while I am away. Matt Jaberg, a very good friend and fantastic wrench, will be filling my repair stand for the week starting Thursday the 31st (until Thursday the 7th when I return). Matt has loads of experience working at shops across the country including B&L, Nytro & works part time with me at Velo Hangar. It will be strange with me not there but, if you need some repairs please go visit Matt & Laurel!
I will be out of the shop Wednesday the 30th till Thursday the 7th.
Music right now: The Creeping Vine by The Mountain Firework Company
Socks: Stance Ragtag
T-shirt: “Tuned by” Thermal LS
Book: The Responsible Company: What We’ve Learned from Patagonia’s First 40 years
Favorite Bike (this week): 2012 Yeti SB-95 Race
Long time no hear..
I am excited to announce we are an Auhtorized Oakley Dealer as of today! It was a long strange trip but Oakley was one of the few brands that I knew I wanted to sell at the shop. As most of you may know I will only sell products in Velo Hangar that I use and will stand behind the product 100%. Really excited to add Oakley to our brands!! Although I haven’t placed my first order, if anyone needs to order a gift or stocking stuffer ground shipping from Oakley HQ is 1 day.
We have also picked up Clement Tires. Elliot and I have been trying out a few different models from their line and we are very impressed. Tread patterns are fast, sidewalls on the clinchers are pretty tough & the tubulars are tubeless (so no pinch flats!). I have the X’PLOR clinchers, MXP, PDX & LAS tubulars in stock. Come by and check them out!
Last but not least I brought in Lezyne LED lights. Hands down the best LED high powered lights I have come across. CNC Aluminum, rechargeable & full of tech goodness! We have sold through a few orders so far. These would be a great Holiday present!!
Someone once told me good things happen to good people… I must be one of them.
What can I say other than Thank You! Great turnout at the Velo Hangar 1st Anniversary Party last night! Thanks everyone for celebrating with us, supporting the shop and helping us turn Velo Hangar into the coolest little bike boutique in San Diego! I am very blessed to have all the support I do. A special thanks to the besets biz partner anyone could ask for, Laurel (aka @velobarista). I’d also like to thank my interns and special helpers… Tony Berg, Matt Jaberg, Elliot Reinecke & Takumi my “shop kid”.
A quick summary of last nights festivities if in case you could not make it…
- The Montalban Quintet setup early and played for a little over 2 hours after a stellar performance at The Belly Up the night before. Jim, Carl & Julie all wore Velo Hangar “Stripe” T’s, so awesome. This band is the real deal. You can tell they love playing together, they feed off each other. It shows in their sound. Fantastic.
- Bull Taco delivered street taco’s to the party. We ordered enough for 150 people thinking we’d have a few left…. not. To this day I still haven’t eaten anything at any of our parties (aside from a hot.dog.on.a.stick at the last party). Several times I noticed the line was wrapping around the parking lot. Awesome.
- Lots of the regular crew stopped by, loved seeing you all! As well as several 1st timers! A couple people I haven’t seen in 2 or so years even stopped by.. Jeff Menoun from my Quintana Roo/Real Design days, Sean DeGruchy, Jill Hamilton, Lawerence & Mike (from Mirraco) among others.. It was a busy night my apologies if I left you out. Great times.
- Lots of newbies too. Love seeing the reaction the first time people walk into the shop. The lifts, the high ceilings, the open atmosphere… Beautiful.
- The keg was drained about 3 hours in… Luckily the bottled reserves were aplenty. I had a few sixers of Leffe, PBR, Old Speckled Hen, Beck’s & Lagunitas in reserve. I believe I counted numerous other cocktails refreshing the crowd as well. Good Times.
- Josh from Hoehn Audi stopped by at the end of the night in a 2013 Audi RS5. Thankfully I had kept my drinking to a minimum (1 Velo Hangar) and was able to take it out. 450hp, 317 ft lbs of torque, naturally aspirated. Love. it. Took it up into the hills of Del Mar into the twisties. Growl.
Thanks again for a great party & a great year! Looking forward to many many more (parties & years..)!!!
How many times are you going to read on this thing how my week was busy, lots of bikes & loads of new clients… Many many more. Today is no exception. “Be careful what you wish for…”… I’ve heard this a lot lately. When I stand back and look at what I’ve accomplished in such a short time, I do get a touch emotional… Not too much mind you that’s just not manly. All that I wished, all that I dreamt came true. I couldn’t have done any of it without you. With the “637″ chapter just passing it’s 1 year mark, I think its time to reminisce a bit. I’m going to add an “about” page to the website, a timeline if you will. Now on with the ramblings…
- Party: This Sunday is our 1 year anniversary of the Solana Beach store! That was super quick. If you haven’t received an invitation in the mail/facebook/email then think of this as your personal invite! We will be celebrating at 3:30 till 9ish Sunday the 30th. Montalban Quintet will be filling the hangar with jams, Bull Taco will be filling our belly’s with street taco’s (while supplies last..) and friends will be filling our ears with laughter. I am really looking forward to it and I hope you are too.
- New Product: We picked up a few new products in the past couple months. We are carrying Osprey Hydration packs & Skratch Labs Nutrition. If you haven’t heard of Skratch (formerly known as Secret Drink Formula).. Where have you been? Skratch is the brainchild of Allen Lim, Bike Nutritionist/Training Scientist extraordinaire… Come in to the shop and try some out. I usually have at least one flavor for sample. 40 serving container is $19.50, single serving is $1.50. Osprey Packs should also ring a bell.. Founded in 1974, Osprey has been in the trenches, up the precipices & into the abyss. Like Velo Hangar itself Osprey is the highest quality pack on the market. Super happy to have them on board. We have a few examples of the Raptor Series & Synchro in stock.
- New Kit: The Pro Velo Hangar kit has arrived and subsequently almost completely sold out… We do have women’s jersey’s & bibs in stock. Men’s kits on the other hand… Well to say I am surprised would be a lie, this kit was one I’ve been working on for many months now (Thanks to Embry Rucker, James Gilbert & Bridgette for all the help!). It turned out exactly as I designed it! The folk at Squadra are true artisans. Men’s Pro kits are diminishing rapidly. As of this exact moment we have 1 XS jersey, 2 XL, 2 XXL & 1 XXXL. You could say I’m into X’s I guess. Small, Medium & Large Pro jersey’s sold out in less than 2 days. Medium bibs sold out in 3 hours, Yikes!
- Gray Team Kits: All sizes back in stock. This is the go to kit for me. Aesthetically pleasing. This kit will always be produced, it might be updated here and there but that will be a rolling change. We also received a few extra Orange Limited Edition jersey’s in the last shipment. These will be the last batch. I have 2 S, 1 M, 1 L & 1 XL in stock (as of this post).
- Apparel: Since it is our 1st Anniversary, I thought it only made sense to reissue the 1st T-shirt I designed and produced as well as the 1st cycling sock. We have all sizes of the VH Vertical Stripe sock in stock. We also have Women’s & Men’s VH Stealth T’s in stock. T’s are $20 and socks are $8 while supplies last.
- Vegas and that thing called Interbike: I went, I talked & I conquered. I use Interbike for networking. The bummer is that Interbike used to be about hearing and seeing the new product. Problem is that all the new bits and baubles are introduced to us month’s before the shows (including Eurobike). Everyone wants to get their product to the masses first, it takes the mystique out of the shows. So instead I use it to meet face to face with my vendors, kiss hands & shake baby’s. Cross Vegas was amazing! Caught glimpses of several VH T’s in the wild, Surprised by an appearance of a VH LE jersey in the Industry CX race (thanks to Bryan Hill of Rehab United) & witnessed one of the most impressive rides by Jeremy Powers. So happy to see Team Rapha Focus dominating CX. Sending good juju to Julie Krasniak, Gabby Day, Jasmin Achermann, Chris Jones, Zach McDonald & Jeremy Powers this season!
T: Gray VH Stripe
Sock: OG VH Stripe
Song: “The Audience is listening” by Cut Chemist
Where: Cafe Ipe
Why: Just finished my root canal with Dr. Howard.
What: Macbook Pro