Category Archives: Tools
Someone once told me good things happen to good people… I must be one of them.
What can I say other than Thank You! Great turnout at the Velo Hangar 1st Anniversary Party last night! Thanks everyone for celebrating with us, supporting the shop and helping us turn Velo Hangar into the coolest little bike boutique in San Diego! I am very blessed to have all the support I do. A special thanks to the besets biz partner anyone could ask for, Laurel (aka @velobarista). I’d also like to thank my interns and special helpers… Tony Berg, Matt Jaberg, Elliot Reinecke & Takumi my “shop kid”.
A quick summary of last nights festivities if in case you could not make it…
- The Montalban Quintet setup early and played for a little over 2 hours after a stellar performance at The Belly Up the night before. Jim, Carl & Julie all wore Velo Hangar “Stripe” T’s, so awesome. This band is the real deal. You can tell they love playing together, they feed off each other. It shows in their sound. Fantastic.
- Bull Taco delivered street taco’s to the party. We ordered enough for 150 people thinking we’d have a few left…. not. To this day I still haven’t eaten anything at any of our parties (aside from a hot.dog.on.a.stick at the last party). Several times I noticed the line was wrapping around the parking lot. Awesome.
- Lots of the regular crew stopped by, loved seeing you all! As well as several 1st timers! A couple people I haven’t seen in 2 or so years even stopped by.. Jeff Menoun from my Quintana Roo/Real Design days, Sean DeGruchy, Jill Hamilton, Lawerence & Mike (from Mirraco) among others.. It was a busy night my apologies if I left you out. Great times.
- Lots of newbies too. Love seeing the reaction the first time people walk into the shop. The lifts, the high ceilings, the open atmosphere… Beautiful.
- The keg was drained about 3 hours in… Luckily the bottled reserves were aplenty. I had a few sixers of Leffe, PBR, Old Speckled Hen, Beck’s & Lagunitas in reserve. I believe I counted numerous other cocktails refreshing the crowd as well. Good Times.
- Josh from Hoehn Audi stopped by at the end of the night in a 2013 Audi RS5. Thankfully I had kept my drinking to a minimum (1 Velo Hangar) and was able to take it out. 450hp, 317 ft lbs of torque, naturally aspirated. Love. it. Took it up into the hills of Del Mar into the twisties. Growl.
Thanks again for a great party & a great year! Looking forward to many many more (parties & years..)!!!
How many times are you going to read on this thing how my week was busy, lots of bikes & loads of new clients… Many many more. Today is no exception. “Be careful what you wish for…”… I’ve heard this a lot lately. When I stand back and look at what I’ve accomplished in such a short time, I do get a touch emotional… Not too much mind you that’s just not manly. All that I wished, all that I dreamt came true. I couldn’t have done any of it without you. With the “637″ chapter just passing it’s 1 year mark, I think its time to reminisce a bit. I’m going to add an “about” page to the website, a timeline if you will. Now on with the ramblings…
- Party: This Sunday is our 1 year anniversary of the Solana Beach store! That was super quick. If you haven’t received an invitation in the mail/facebook/email then think of this as your personal invite! We will be celebrating at 3:30 till 9ish Sunday the 30th. Montalban Quintet will be filling the hangar with jams, Bull Taco will be filling our belly’s with street taco’s (while supplies last..) and friends will be filling our ears with laughter. I am really looking forward to it and I hope you are too.
- New Product: We picked up a few new products in the past couple months. We are carrying Osprey Hydration packs & Skratch Labs Nutrition. If you haven’t heard of Skratch (formerly known as Secret Drink Formula).. Where have you been? Skratch is the brainchild of Allen Lim, Bike Nutritionist/Training Scientist extraordinaire… Come in to the shop and try some out. I usually have at least one flavor for sample. 40 serving container is $19.50, single serving is $1.50. Osprey Packs should also ring a bell.. Founded in 1974, Osprey has been in the trenches, up the precipices & into the abyss. Like Velo Hangar itself Osprey is the highest quality pack on the market. Super happy to have them on board. We have a few examples of the Raptor Series & Synchro in stock.
- New Kit: The Pro Velo Hangar kit has arrived and subsequently almost completely sold out… We do have women’s jersey’s & bibs in stock. Men’s kits on the other hand… Well to say I am surprised would be a lie, this kit was one I’ve been working on for many months now (Thanks to Embry Rucker, James Gilbert & Bridgette for all the help!). It turned out exactly as I designed it! The folk at Squadra are true artisans. Men’s Pro kits are diminishing rapidly. As of this exact moment we have 1 XS jersey, 2 XL, 2 XXL & 1 XXXL. You could say I’m into X’s I guess. Small, Medium & Large Pro jersey’s sold out in less than 2 days. Medium bibs sold out in 3 hours, Yikes!
- Gray Team Kits: All sizes back in stock. This is the go to kit for me. Aesthetically pleasing. This kit will always be produced, it might be updated here and there but that will be a rolling change. We also received a few extra Orange Limited Edition jersey’s in the last shipment. These will be the last batch. I have 2 S, 1 M, 1 L & 1 XL in stock (as of this post).
- Apparel: Since it is our 1st Anniversary, I thought it only made sense to reissue the 1st T-shirt I designed and produced as well as the 1st cycling sock. We have all sizes of the VH Vertical Stripe sock in stock. We also have Women’s & Men’s VH Stealth T’s in stock. T’s are $20 and socks are $8 while supplies last.
- Vegas and that thing called Interbike: I went, I talked & I conquered. I use Interbike for networking. The bummer is that Interbike used to be about hearing and seeing the new product. Problem is that all the new bits and baubles are introduced to us month’s before the shows (including Eurobike). Everyone wants to get their product to the masses first, it takes the mystique out of the shows. So instead I use it to meet face to face with my vendors, kiss hands & shake baby’s. Cross Vegas was amazing! Caught glimpses of several VH T’s in the wild, Surprised by an appearance of a VH LE jersey in the Industry CX race (thanks to Bryan Hill of Rehab United) & witnessed one of the most impressive rides by Jeremy Powers. So happy to see Team Rapha Focus dominating CX. Sending good juju to Julie Krasniak, Gabby Day, Jasmin Achermann, Chris Jones, Zach McDonald & Jeremy Powers this season!
T: Gray VH Stripe
Sock: OG VH Stripe
Song: “The Audience is listening” by Cut Chemist
Where: Cafe Ipe
Why: Just finished my root canal with Dr. Howard.
What: Macbook Pro
T-Shirt: OG Velo Hangar Black on Black
Song: The Temper Trap “Sweet Disposition” – Jamie T “So lonely was the ballad”
Drink in Hand: Kentucky Mule (Buffalo Trace & Cock and Bull Ginger Beer)
Closest bike in proximity: 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 (Black N Blue)
On the mind: Restock of Velo Hangar kits should arrive this week, Loads of “events” this week, a couple new branding projects in the works, parents arriving in a couple weeks, Karen’s Birthday Bash at the shop,….
Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! I can’t wait to get back to the grind tomorrow!
Gotta change that. December was a big month. Started riding a bit more than usual, The Campagnolo Annual Toy Drive ride took off without a hitch, our Belgian Holiday Party was a HUGE success (over 200 attendees), spent time with family at Christmas… the list is endless. I keep thinking back to this time last year. I was in a different frame of mind. VH looked good on paper. Finding the capital to make it happen looked impossible unless I was willing to let go of the reins and change the concept… Looking back I’m glad I didn’t.
I started Velo Hangar as a brand. I used what little money I had to make t-shirts and stickers, build a little following. Start the brand underground style. I quickly sold out of the t’s making a little & designed a cycling kit (jersey, bibs, arm warmers, vest..). When I posted the jersey design I was amazed by the response. The 1st kit order exceeded my expectations! Maybe I was on to something…
Now look at Velo Hangar! A full-fledged brick & mortar Bicycle Service Shop… The shop is exactly as I had imagined, down to the layout I had sketched in my notepad a hundred times. I want to Thank Everyone out there that has stood by VH through thick & thin, stayed interested in the “progress” of the shop, continued to refer friends & family, stopped by to hang out & have a coffee. I am super excited to make 2012 even better!
It’s that time of year again… Holiday party time. Boring eggnog, cheesy strands of holly draped over doorways, twinkling neon colored lights…
We’ve decided to break from the norm and have a Belgian Holiday Party. Frites, Waffles, Chocolate, Beer, Cycling Movies, Beer. There has been rumor of a raffle & a storewide discount, all TBA.
- Sunday December 18th
- 3:00pm to 8:00pm
- 637 Valley Avenue #C, Solana Beach 92075
Please RSVP to email@example.com if you plan to stop by. Gotta figure out how much food so we don’t run out again… oops.
October 21st marked the 1 year Anniversary of Velo Hangar. The concept, the brand, the idea, it all was kickstarted when I left B&L 1 year ago. When I think back it was a stressful time. The uncertainty. Looking forward, I’m really excited for what’s to come. VH has come such a long way in the few short months, Thanks to you!
Some friends and I recently brewed our own beer & although I worked while most of the process occurred, I really like the simplicity. I can’t wait for the next batch. The first batch was a simple Pale Ale. We need to figure out the next one soon maybe a Saison…
- Song on right now: Spoon “All the pretty girls go to the city”
- Favorite apparel right now: Patagonia R3 vest
- Bike most ridden this week: SyCip Road
- Book on the nightstand: Hell and Gone
- Fav electronic: Apple iPad2
- Chain Lube: Gnar Lube “Blue Opal” with stripper scent
- Future project: Thinking of adding a carbon road bike to the stable…
Lots of stuff on my mind lately so I apologize if this reads like a HardDrive Dump.
T-Shirt: Gray VH Stealth T
Music: Don McCloskey’s “Focken Glockenspiel”
Snack: Pelegrino & a Double Chocolate PR Bar.
- Interbike 2011 has been and gone. Good show, nothing ground breaking, 10s grip shift, Hope Tech cassette/freehub body, Focus bikes we best of show.
- VH Camelbak bottles are in.
- VH Squadra clothing will arrive 2nd week of October. New base color, refined design, New vest color.
- Velo Hangar/ Celo Pacific Cyclocross clinic was huge success thanks to Dave Lawson & Brent Prenzlow from Celo Pacific.
- Velo Hangar is one of the many proud sponsors of Celo Pacific Cycling Team for 2012.
- Mad Alchemy Embrocation & Chamois cream, Challenge, Industry Nine, Chris King, Knog,… just some of the products we are carrying.
- New 16 liter Ultrasonic Parts Washer arrived yesterday and is uber powerful!
- Our Morizumi Spoke Machine will arrive any day now.
- Lots of wheel builds, tire glues, new bike builds coming in the doors…
- VH friend/athlete James Walsh is heading to IM World Championships Kona next week aboard his Look 596 (Thanks to Elliott D from Axis Sports Group)
- Constantly working on the merchandising/layout of the shop. Keep it fresh, keep it simple.
- I’ve become addicted to Maple Sugar Hard candies
- Continental 700×25 tires are flying out the door. Best selling tire hands down.
- Lizard Skins 2.5 DSP tape is the bomb.
- Bjorn has a smart key but, dumb hand.
- Carbo-Pro & Thermalyte coming soon
Lots of new products are around the shop these past few weeks. Proud & excited to announce we are an Industry Nine Dealer. I have 2 sets of these killer custom wheels on my MTB’s. Light, Strong and Pretty. Checkout Industry Nine’s website for their MTB_color_picker. You can see what your wheels will look like.
Also excited to have NutCase helmets in the Hangar. Whether you are looking for a good commuter helmet, trying to break from the normal racer helmet or you are looking for a new helmet for the kids, NutCase has loads of cool designs for everyone. They range from $50-$70. Love the Glow in the Dark, GloBrain model.
We have recently built up our Surly Big Dummy. If you are not familiar with the Big D, it’s Surly’s rendition of an Xtracycle. A utilitarian cargo bike/commuter/hauler. We decided (ok, I decided) to pimp this one out. SRAM XO 10spd group with hydraulic XO disc brakes, Easton EA70 wheels/stem/bar/seatpost, Fizik Gobi Muzzle saddle, Conti Touring tires, Oury grips & of course a King headset. This thing rocks! Seriously considering one of these for my stable…
Last and absolutely not least… After weeks and weeks of interviews, hoops to jump, blood samples sent… Velo Hangar is an Authorized Chris King dealer. Lots of red tape but, stoked to be part of the family! We have King Bottom Brackets & 1 1/8 threadless headsets in stock! I know have the BB tools & hub tools as well. Love, Love, Love King products. Come in a checkout the BB’s, they really are worth the coin.
Limited Edition: Cross Vegas Embrocation…. $19.95 a jar (although this one should smell of cheap cigarette’s & stale beer, it doesn’t)
Non-Warming Embrocation… $17.50 a jar (minty)
Gentleman’s Blend Embrocation… $19.95 a jar (scent is woody with spices)
Russian Tea Embrocation… $19.95 a jar (cinnamon & citrus)
EuroPRO Chamois Cream…. $17.95 a jar (scent of Cedar & spices, just what I want my shorts to smell like…)
PRO+ Chamois Cream…. $17.95 a jar (veggie based, more traditional blend)
**While supplies last buy a jar of Mad Alchemy and get a free Velo Hangar beverage holder. One glass per order…**
What is Embrocation, you say…?
Checkout Mad Alchemy‘s website…
“100% Natural | 100% Pure
Mad Alchemy Embrocation is a line of all natural body care products hand-made in small batches to ensure the highest quality product available.
Embro is being ready for 130 miles, in April, 45°F, raining, but still loving the ride. It’s sprinting for the Provincetown line @ mile 140, against 7 of your best friends. It’s talking about your 7½ hour ride on the ferry back to Boston, dehydrated, but still sharing stories over a beer. Embro doesn’t hang the bike up in the winter. It simply lowers the tire pressure in the snow, puts on a wool base, and 2 pairs of shoe covers and rides. Embro is Portland in December, and New England in February. It’s rain, it’s snow, it’s mud and sometimes it’s even sunshine. It’s always about the experience. It’s about attacking on the hardest part of the course, or down that perfectly symmetrical, maple-tree ally. It’s about cobbles and cinder, new pavement and gaps. Embrocation will not make you faster. It won’t make up the difference between 4th and 40th, but it will most assuredly make you feel like a “better” cyclist, a more significant part of our community. Not everybody is ready to Embrocate, though everyone has Embro potential. We Embrocate for legs, we Embrocate for our experience, we Embrocate for the love of cycling.
On Marketing side I’ve been working on some new decals including some 10 inchers for vehicles. Those should arrive early next week thanks to Victory Circle Graphix (who also do my “tuned by” decals). I’ve got a few quotes out right now for a Velo Hangar sign for the building (can’t wait for that), I’m dropping off more t-shirts to the printer tomorrow & my new biz cards arrived.
Something I’ve wanted to do for awhile now, Embry stopped by last week to video me building a bike. He also shot some stills that look amazing.
The shop is really coming together! If you’ve seen a Version recently you should come back and see where we are now. Completely different. New furniture installed. displays, bike storage, stoked.
Thanks to all of you this little dream of mine is finally taking shape! A special Thanks to AlternaBike for believing in me and my biz plan.
See you soon!!