It that time of year again… We have designed a new LE jersey, this time its based off our “Team” gear (aka the gray kit). The pantones have stayed the same so this jersey will match any of our previous jersey, bibs & accessories. Limited to 50 units these won’t last long. They will only be available online. Type velohangar.ridesquadra.com into your browser.
I have added our gray bib to the online shop so if you want a complete kit that’s the ticket. The jersey is also available in both of Squadra’s fabrics, their Team and Pro. Team is the standard fit whereas Pro is the aero race fit (like last years Black VH kit and the ellusive White Jersey).
The store will be open till November 10th. They make great Holiday presents….
Type velohangar.ridesquadra.com into your browser.
On Sunday 7th July 2013 join thousands of women around the world to ride 100km. The aim is to create a global event, with thousands of women taking to the road to complete a 100km journey. The 7th July is the date of the Etape du Tour, the amateur cyclist’s chance to ride a major mountain stage of the 100th edition of the Tour de France. Rapha are sending 100 women to ride the sportive, which will form part of the day’s festival of riding. The Rapha Women’s 100 is not a competition to see who is the fastest, it is about gathering a global community of women around the world to take part in this shared adventure.
Join Women Cyclist, Velo Hangar, Diana Aquire at Velo Hangar 637 Valley Avenure in Solana Beach for the San Diego Rapha 100 ride. Let’s gather our communtiy and ride. RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/calendar#!/events/174109582737213/
Please join us Saturday June 29th 4pm to 7pm for a fundraiser benefiting the Arthritis Foundation’s California Coast Classic (CCC is a 500+ mile ride down the California Coast)
We will be serving beverages including custom Margaritas & snacks. Lots of Raffle items and door prizes!
Last year was a blast! Hope you all can make it!!
Someone once told me good things happen to good people… I must be one of them.
What can I say other than Thank You! Great turnout at the Velo Hangar 1st Anniversary Party last night! Thanks everyone for celebrating with us, supporting the shop and helping us turn Velo Hangar into the coolest little bike boutique in San Diego! I am very blessed to have all the support I do. A special thanks to the besets biz partner anyone could ask for, Laurel (aka @velobarista). I’d also like to thank my interns and special helpers… Tony Berg, Matt Jaberg, Elliot Reinecke & Takumi my “shop kid”.
A quick summary of last nights festivities if in case you could not make it…
- The Montalban Quintet setup early and played for a little over 2 hours after a stellar performance at The Belly Up the night before. Jim, Carl & Julie all wore Velo Hangar “Stripe” T’s, so awesome. This band is the real deal. You can tell they love playing together, they feed off each other. It shows in their sound. Fantastic.
- Bull Taco delivered street taco’s to the party. We ordered enough for 150 people thinking we’d have a few left…. not. To this day I still haven’t eaten anything at any of our parties (aside from a hot.dog.on.a.stick at the last party). Several times I noticed the line was wrapping around the parking lot. Awesome.
- Lots of the regular crew stopped by, loved seeing you all! As well as several 1st timers! A couple people I haven’t seen in 2 or so years even stopped by.. Jeff Menoun from my Quintana Roo/Real Design days, Sean DeGruchy, Jill Hamilton, Lawerence & Mike (from Mirraco) among others.. It was a busy night my apologies if I left you out. Great times.
- Lots of newbies too. Love seeing the reaction the first time people walk into the shop. The lifts, the high ceilings, the open atmosphere… Beautiful.
- The keg was drained about 3 hours in… Luckily the bottled reserves were aplenty. I had a few sixers of Leffe, PBR, Old Speckled Hen, Beck’s & Lagunitas in reserve. I believe I counted numerous other cocktails refreshing the crowd as well. Good Times.
- Josh from Hoehn Audi stopped by at the end of the night in a 2013 Audi RS5. Thankfully I had kept my drinking to a minimum (1 Velo Hangar) and was able to take it out. 450hp, 317 ft lbs of torque, naturally aspirated. Love. it. Took it up into the hills of Del Mar into the twisties. Growl.
Thanks again for a great party & a great year! Looking forward to many many more (parties & years..)!!!
How many times are you going to read on this thing how my week was busy, lots of bikes & loads of new clients… Many many more. Today is no exception. “Be careful what you wish for…”… I’ve heard this a lot lately. When I stand back and look at what I’ve accomplished in such a short time, I do get a touch emotional… Not too much mind you that’s just not manly. All that I wished, all that I dreamt came true. I couldn’t have done any of it without you. With the “637″ chapter just passing it’s 1 year mark, I think its time to reminisce a bit. I’m going to add an “about” page to the website, a timeline if you will. Now on with the ramblings…
- Party: This Sunday is our 1 year anniversary of the Solana Beach store! That was super quick. If you haven’t received an invitation in the mail/facebook/email then think of this as your personal invite! We will be celebrating at 3:30 till 9ish Sunday the 30th. Montalban Quintet will be filling the hangar with jams, Bull Taco will be filling our belly’s with street taco’s (while supplies last..) and friends will be filling our ears with laughter. I am really looking forward to it and I hope you are too.
- New Product: We picked up a few new products in the past couple months. We are carrying Osprey Hydration packs & Skratch Labs Nutrition. If you haven’t heard of Skratch (formerly known as Secret Drink Formula).. Where have you been? Skratch is the brainchild of Allen Lim, Bike Nutritionist/Training Scientist extraordinaire… Come in to the shop and try some out. I usually have at least one flavor for sample. 40 serving container is $19.50, single serving is $1.50. Osprey Packs should also ring a bell.. Founded in 1974, Osprey has been in the trenches, up the precipices & into the abyss. Like Velo Hangar itself Osprey is the highest quality pack on the market. Super happy to have them on board. We have a few examples of the Raptor Series & Synchro in stock.
- New Kit: The Pro Velo Hangar kit has arrived and subsequently almost completely sold out… We do have women’s jersey’s & bibs in stock. Men’s kits on the other hand… Well to say I am surprised would be a lie, this kit was one I’ve been working on for many months now (Thanks to Embry Rucker, James Gilbert & Bridgette for all the help!). It turned out exactly as I designed it! The folk at Squadra are true artisans. Men’s Pro kits are diminishing rapidly. As of this exact moment we have 1 XS jersey, 2 XL, 2 XXL & 1 XXXL. You could say I’m into X’s I guess. Small, Medium & Large Pro jersey’s sold out in less than 2 days. Medium bibs sold out in 3 hours, Yikes!
- Gray Team Kits: All sizes back in stock. This is the go to kit for me. Aesthetically pleasing. This kit will always be produced, it might be updated here and there but that will be a rolling change. We also received a few extra Orange Limited Edition jersey’s in the last shipment. These will be the last batch. I have 2 S, 1 M, 1 L & 1 XL in stock (as of this post).
- Apparel: Since it is our 1st Anniversary, I thought it only made sense to reissue the 1st T-shirt I designed and produced as well as the 1st cycling sock. We have all sizes of the VH Vertical Stripe sock in stock. We also have Women’s & Men’s VH Stealth T’s in stock. T’s are $20 and socks are $8 while supplies last.
- Vegas and that thing called Interbike: I went, I talked & I conquered. I use Interbike for networking. The bummer is that Interbike used to be about hearing and seeing the new product. Problem is that all the new bits and baubles are introduced to us month’s before the shows (including Eurobike). Everyone wants to get their product to the masses first, it takes the mystique out of the shows. So instead I use it to meet face to face with my vendors, kiss hands & shake baby’s. Cross Vegas was amazing! Caught glimpses of several VH T’s in the wild, Surprised by an appearance of a VH LE jersey in the Industry CX race (thanks to Bryan Hill of Rehab United) & witnessed one of the most impressive rides by Jeremy Powers. So happy to see Team Rapha Focus dominating CX. Sending good juju to Julie Krasniak, Gabby Day, Jasmin Achermann, Chris Jones, Zach McDonald & Jeremy Powers this season!
T: Gray VH Stripe
Sock: OG VH Stripe
Song: “The Audience is listening” by Cut Chemist
Where: Cafe Ipe
Why: Just finished my root canal with Dr. Howard.
What: Macbook Pro
Wow just wow. I cannot express how much I appreciate the love I’ve been receiving from San Diego! This crazy little idea I concocted back in 2010 has become a reality. It’s cool looking back at pictures from those early days, funky reading old emails to colleagues or reminiscing with friends. Thanks to you, Velo Hangar is thriving! A special thanks to Laurel (@velobarista on Instagram) for putting up with me and helping me build the business so rapidly. I might still be in my garage if it wasn’t for her.
Velo Hangar has been in our Solana Beach (Eden Gardens) location for just a little over a year now. I have several new apparel pieces on the horizon including a new “Race” kit to compliment the “Team” kit. Several new T-shirts on the way as well. Keep it fresh but not too fresh.
Here are a few pics from the last couple months…
It’s no wonder that the sparseness of my posts correlates to the workload at the shop… Please be patient. There is always so much going on. It amazes me how much I actually get accomplished with how little time I have. Needless to say the shop is on fire, figuratively. I’ve brought in a close friend that can help me with some projects that keep getting put on the back burner. It’s absolutely a dream and a life saver to know someone that has a similar work ethic, attention to detail & unbelievable skill. Very lucky to have MJ helping me part time.
Laurel and I are happy to bring in a few new brands to the shop this early into our tenure. We recently added Kask Helmets from Italy (helmets worn by Team Sky as well as Heather Jackson in the triworld).
As most of you know, I only stock items I absolutely stand behind. If I’m not using it, I’m not selling it.
We are also now carrying thecouch coveted Tate Labs Bar Fly for your Garmin Edge 200, 500 & 800. Woody Tate is a friend who works in Mill Valley at Above Category. If you don’t know what or who AC is drop what you are doing and drive there immediately! The Barfly (that’s bar fly not barf-lee like Laurel says) mounts to a standard 31.8 handlebar and puts the Garmin in front of the stem which honestly cleans up the cockpit on your bike. Nothing like buying a $270 ENVE Composites stem only to tarnish it by wrapping elastic bands around it to hold a computer…. Yuck! The third product I’d like to introduce is near and dear to my heart.
I’m excited and proud to introduce Velo Hangar Black Ops coffee produced by Revolution Roasters! Back in 2010 when I started the Velo Hangar brand, I wanted to create unique products that were different from the normal bike shop items. I wanted to keep the quality high and the production low, create a demand, create a following, create a unique atmosphere… Not just another cookie cutter bike shop. When I finally saw the passion & detail Rev Roasters put into their product I realized I needed to team up with them on a VH blend. The VH Black Ops coffee is a blend of Guatemalan & Brazilian which creates a very smooth mild coffee. It’s perfect as an espresso but equally as good in a French press or drip. We are offering Black Ops in 1lb & .5lb bags ($15/$9 respectively). If you are in Leaucadia please stop by Cafe Ipe (Revolution Roasters is located inside) and have a taste? Velo Hangar Black Ops is only available from our shop. stop by and we can pull you a sample.
A huge thank you to all who have expressed interest in supporting my brand and especially to those who are!!! Without you I might still be in my small garage in Cardiff, sweating out of all my pores, sweating my next bill, sweating my future…
So the next post might be awhile.. I constantly try to remind myself that I need to write something but, free time is nonexistent.
T-Shirt: OG Velo Hangar Black on Black
Song: The Temper Trap “Sweet Disposition” – Jamie T “So lonely was the ballad”
Drink in Hand: Kentucky Mule (Buffalo Trace & Cock and Bull Ginger Beer)
Closest bike in proximity: 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 (Black N Blue)
On the mind: Restock of Velo Hangar kits should arrive this week, Loads of “events” this week, a couple new branding projects in the works, parents arriving in a couple weeks, Karen’s Birthday Bash at the shop,….
Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! I can’t wait to get back to the grind tomorrow!
It’s hard to believe after only 12 months after the 1st kit arrived, there are over 180 kits sold! So if you live in San Diego this challenge should be relatively easy. The task at hand is to take pictures of as many riders wearing their VH kits as you can. It can be a pic with 4 riders or 4 pics with riders… Creativity & Candor always helps.
- Contest begins tomorrow Jan.5th.2011.
- Contest ends Jan.12th.2011
- You can email the photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post them on http://www.facebook.com/vhangar
Winner will receive a Velo Hangar Prize Pack including a VH Camelbak Podium bottle, Limited Edition VH T-shirt, VH sticker pack & a surprise gift. Photo’s will be published in print & digital media (with permission).
Warm up those smartphones and get snapping!