We are approaching the middle of January and what a crazy time! Over the holidays I took some much needed time off. Not full blown vacation time, i’d work now and then plus I didn’t leave San Diego. I know now that was a mistake.. Anyhoo I’m rested and ready for action.
With the rainstorm that blew through San Diego last week and it being my first week back in the garage, I assumed repairs would be slow. Wrong. Crazy Town, and I wouldn’t change a thing. Here’s a little update…
Current Projects in The Hangar:
- I’ve designed a new jersey for the Spring. Online preorder will open soon on Velo Hangar/ Squadra. As with all my kits this jersey is designed to go with the Anthracite bib (dark grey). I updated the bib a touch to compliment the Spring jersey but it still will look great with the other kits. There will be matching arm warmers. Men’s & Women’s Premier jersey & bibs.
- Since I don’t have a retail location currently and have lots of VH merch taking up space in the van. I will be having a sale on my Big Cartel Online store in the next few weeks. Make some room for new product. I have a few Trucker hats, wool socks, Rather riding caps, VH bottles, etc.
- I’ve started working on some new t-shirt designs and will probably be re-releasing some of the originals again as well.
Now for a photo dump of the past month or so…
November & December are usually pretty slow in the bike shop. So filling the void with apparel & accessory sales is what I generally rely on. Takes time & a lot of hustle.. For the first time in 6 years (yes VH is 6 years old..) I had a sale during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. Lots of orders came in! Thanks so much!! BigCartel makes it super easy on the online store side of things.
Lots of bike builds, new group swaps & wheelbuilds lately. I can’t forecast what is going to be popular for the week so it keeps me on my toes. I can say definitively that Felt IA1 builds are gruesome..
- Working on a new jersey for Spring release (preorder). Design is so new my “design team” hasn’t even seen this one… This one will be with Squadra and will pair with a past bib design that will also be getting a refresh. I’ll rerun the checkered vest from the last order as well.
- Planning to design a new water bottle with Camelbak. 24oz size, new design & possibly another run of a former design.. (Mixer is back!)
- Reordering more checkered socks.. Kind of a dark horse, didn’t think those would catch on like they did.. Completely sold out in under a month, 120 pairs.
- New T-shirts are in the works. VH Transit inspired. In sketch mode currently. My time at Squadoot is split between Squadra kit design & t-shirt sketching.
Reminder that my Holiday Party is next Sunday (12/13) at Priority Public House in Leucadia 6p-9p. Please bring a new, boxed, unwrapped toy for Rady Children’s Hospital.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! See you soon!!
On Sunday 7th July 2013 join thousands of women around the world to ride 100km. The aim is to create a global event, with thousands of women taking to the road to complete a 100km journey. The 7th July is the date of the Etape du Tour, the amateur cyclist’s chance to ride a major mountain stage of the 100th edition of the Tour de France. Rapha are sending 100 women to ride the sportive, which will form part of the day’s festival of riding. The Rapha Women’s 100 is not a competition to see who is the fastest, it is about gathering a global community of women around the world to take part in this shared adventure.
Join Women Cyclist, Velo Hangar, Diana Aquire at Velo Hangar 637 Valley Avenure in Solana Beach for the San Diego Rapha 100 ride. Let’s gather our communtiy and ride. RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/calendar#!/events/174109582737213/
Please join us Saturday June 29th 4pm to 7pm for a fundraiser benefiting the Arthritis Foundation’s California Coast Classic (CCC is a 500+ mile ride down the California Coast)
We will be serving beverages including custom Margaritas & snacks. Lots of Raffle items and door prizes!
Last year was a blast! Hope you all can make it!!
Not many can say this, much less relate, but I can’t wait to get back to Velo Hangar. It’s not that I’m worried about what may have happened while I was gone, I’m not. I have a wonderful, under appreciated, knowledgeable team at VH. I’m sure Laurel & Matt had a great week! ( especially being Gordon free..). It’s more about what Velo Hangar is to me. It’s not just a bike shop, it’s not just my workplace, in a way it’s my “family”. Sounds weird I know.
When friends go out of town wether its overnight or for a few days, they miss their kids & family. I might not have a wife & kids but I do have Velo Hangar. You guys are my family.
I’m back in the shop tomorrow & honestly I can’t wait to see each and every one of you..
Thank you for the VH love!