It might be February but someone hasn’t told California. It’s 75 degrees and sunny right now, not trying to rub it in but we were all expecting El Niño to drench us. We’ve had a few days of rain but not that much.. I’ll admit I was pretty worried about the rain. If people aren’t riding they don’t need their bikes worked on. What I noticed though is that if people can’t ride it’s a perfect time to get their bikes worked on, that’s what I get for thinking. Anyway, it’s been a pretty good winter, business is pretty steady.
I’ve had a couple kit preorders go through in the past couple months. If you ordered the Navy kit, please be patient we ran out of some materials so they are running a bit late. It’s not the norm. They should be shipping to you this week. The Spring kits sold pretty well! Thanks to all of you you bought these. Can’t wait to see them in person! I’ll have another kit launch in the summer. Think bold. Bold lines, Bold colors..
On a personal note, it’s been a month of ups and downs. On one hand my parents are in town for a visit, for the month. For some that might sound scary, for me it’s great. For one the stay in Oceanside, they spend an equal time between sight seeing, me and visiting my sister and her family. My Dad has always been one of my best friends so having him around is great, Linda isn’t so bad either.. So far with work being somewhat busy, we’ve met for dinner a couple times. This weekend though we’ll go on an adventure.
On he bad side.. One of my hero’s, a client & a friend committed suicide. I’m not going to bring out all my dirty laundry here but, I would like to say there are people all around us struggling. Struggling in life, struggling with disease, struggling with relationships,.. It’s important to have that friend to talk to whether it’s a professional or your best friend. I’m very fortunate to have so many friends, true friends. They are what keep me going day after day.
- Working on a new t-shirt as always right? Thinking it will be an original design.
- New kit design is in the works. The next one will be launched this summer. It’s going to be standard kit unlike the Special Editions like the Spring kit. Theme will be BOLD. As with all my other kits this one will be designed to match the other pieces I’ve brought out in the past.
- There is another kit in process but, it’s wacky. Way different than anything I’ve done before. Jersey, bib, arm warmers maybe even a vest who knows. Hey if I only sell the minimum I’m ok with that. If it takes shape we’re looking at a fall release.
- Still working on a retail space. My idea of what I want keeps whittling down. More boutique less superstore. What I’m missing most biz wise is VH branded merch sales. The BigCartel site works but I don’t get the same sell through.
- Music playing:: Deer Tick “Dirty Dishes”
- Coffee:: Ironsmith Coffee “espresso”
- T-shirt:: Viva Velo Hangar
- Socks:: SockGuy VH checker wool
- Bike in the stand:: Yeti SB5C (new build)
Thats it for now. Need to get out of coffee shop mode and into the garage.
We are approaching the middle of January and what a crazy time! Over the holidays I took some much needed time off. Not full blown vacation time, i’d work now and then plus I didn’t leave San Diego. I know now that was a mistake.. Anyhoo I’m rested and ready for action.
With the rainstorm that blew through San Diego last week and it being my first week back in the garage, I assumed repairs would be slow. Wrong. Crazy Town, and I wouldn’t change a thing. Here’s a little update…
Current Projects in The Hangar:
- I’ve designed a new jersey for the Spring. Online preorder will open soon on Velo Hangar/ Squadra. As with all my kits this jersey is designed to go with the Anthracite bib (dark grey). I updated the bib a touch to compliment the Spring jersey but it still will look great with the other kits. There will be matching arm warmers. Men’s & Women’s Premier jersey & bibs.
- Since I don’t have a retail location currently and have lots of VH merch taking up space in the van. I will be having a sale on my Big Cartel Online store in the next few weeks. Make some room for new product. I have a few Trucker hats, wool socks, Rather riding caps, VH bottles, etc.
- I’ve started working on some new t-shirt designs and will probably be re-releasing some of the originals again as well.
Now for a photo dump of the past month or so…
For Spring release I wanted to do something a little different than the kits I’ve done in the past. Going on the same idea of mixing and matching, I designed this New Jersey to compliment the Team VH jersey I’ve been producing for the last 4 years. It’s one of my best sellers and many of you already own pieces from that collection. I’ve released an updated version of the Anthracite bib to better compliment this jersey. For instance I removed the band from the leg and the stripe from the bumper. This updated bib will still look great with any of my previous designs as well.
Coloring… It seems like every kit out there (especially in San Diego) is either Red/Black/White or Blue/Black/White. I’ve always tried to bring out kits that were different than the rest. A simple, clean design is what pleases my eye. So with this kit I adopted a design I used for Matt Bigos’ 2015 Race kit. A simple fade using my logo for the shading. I’m really proud of how this turned out and I love the Seafoam shoulders & arm warmers…
Cut… This jersey and bib are Squadra’s Premier Cut. Premier is basically Team+, it’s the normal fabric with some upgrades like flat stitch, gripper at the waist, improved zipper design, etc. These will run pretty standard.
I’d like to give a shoutout to Zach & Bridgette at Squadra for the color consulting & all the help they give me in the design. It’s a pleasure to work with them which isn’t always the case in kit manufacturers. It doesn’t hurt having them local.
Available for preorder (these will only be available for preorder) at velohangar.ridesquadra.com
- Men’s & Women’s Premier Jersey:: $95
- Men’s & Women’s Premier Bibs:: $125
- Unisex Arm Warmers:: $35
November & December are usually pretty slow in the bike shop. So filling the void with apparel & accessory sales is what I generally rely on. Takes time & a lot of hustle.. For the first time in 6 years (yes VH is 6 years old..) I had a sale during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. Lots of orders came in! Thanks so much!! BigCartel makes it super easy on the online store side of things.
Lots of bike builds, new group swaps & wheelbuilds lately. I can’t forecast what is going to be popular for the week so it keeps me on my toes. I can say definitively that Felt IA1 builds are gruesome..
- Working on a new jersey for Spring release (preorder). Design is so new my “design team” hasn’t even seen this one… This one will be with Squadra and will pair with a past bib design that will also be getting a refresh. I’ll rerun the checkered vest from the last order as well.
- Planning to design a new water bottle with Camelbak. 24oz size, new design & possibly another run of a former design.. (Mixer is back!)
- Reordering more checkered socks.. Kind of a dark horse, didn’t think those would catch on like they did.. Completely sold out in under a month, 120 pairs.
- New T-shirts are in the works. VH Transit inspired. In sketch mode currently. My time at Squadoot is split between Squadra kit design & t-shirt sketching.
Reminder that my Holiday Party is next Sunday (12/13) at Priority Public House in Leucadia 6p-9p. Please bring a new, boxed, unwrapped toy for Rady Children’s Hospital.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! See you soon!!
So for this kit I decided to try out Castelli for the first time. Most of you have owned castelli at some point in your cycling careers and it’s always good to try new things. As you know my kit designs are always simple. I design pieces that I would wear and I’m a big fan of continuity.
These kits have a black base with color accents that are the same as the rest of my apparel. Why does that matter? I want all of my VH apparel to work together no matter what manufacturer. I also added the checkerboard pattern from my VH socks I brought out a couple months ago. If you have the socks you’ll need this kit…
Anyhoo I’ll be offering Women’s Aero Race bib & Aero Race jersey. In Men’s fit I will have Aero Race bib’s, Aero Race jersey, Team bib & Team jersey. (Aero Race jersey is basically a skin suit top i.e. Lightweight & quick drying. Aero Race bibs have a nicer pad and race fit. Team clothing fits similar to my other Team kits).
Since fit is new I’m having a Fit Kit Soirée next Sunday October 4th, 2-5p at Patagonia Cardiff. I’ll have fit kits to try on, a computer available for ordering and Sean Kneale from Castelli there to answer questions. Please join us next weekend!
Starting from scratch was a daunting move, mentally and physically. To be honest I havent really unpacked all the boxes but I pretty much had to hit the ground running to keep the momentum I had built up for the past couple years. The easiest way was to reach out to all of you in this Blog & the other social outlets (online and in person). It definitely worked. Super happy with all the feedback and interest.
I also decided I need some new soft goods. I was hoping to bring each item out so that I didnt flood the water… Everything came in within the same week, doh. When it rains it pours… VH Apparel is my fuel so i went with it.
I have an Art & Design background, so creating t-shirts & other softgoods sparks that creative side of my brain. I absolutely love working on bikes & I’m excited that I can design as well. Granted everything I come up with for VH is simple and clean (and also I get a lot of help from friends). So a couple months ago I went to work on creating some new pieces to add to the collection. I worked with Jason at SockGuy on some new hosiery, James Gilbert & Sean Tully on some new T-shirts, Sean Kneale & Castelli on a new cycling kit, Matt Conto for some VH hats and Steve Driscoll on a vehicle wrap for the VH Transit. Some of those items are for sale at the online store with some previous pieces like Camelbak bottles, pint glasses, Rothera cycling caps (caps not hats) & Handlebar Mustache Collab t’s. Many people have asked if the only way to buy is online, the answer is no. If you see me driving around in the van, I have supplies inside.
Current VH Projects
- Castelli cycling kit: Men’s and Women’s fit. Black based, there will be touches of checkerboard to go with the socks. A little different setup from the other kits but similar to the kit I designed for Trevor Glavin last year. Artwork will be posted soon when I finalize it.
- Another T-shirt is in the works. Havent decided between one of the old designs on a different blank or a new design. Time will tell. I need to take care of a few other things before those will surface.
- Transit Connect: I’m still waiting for a few pieces to arrive for the buildout. Cant wait for this to be done…
- I will be attending Interbike again this year so I will remind everyone of my days that I’ll be gone for the convention. I’ll be in Vegas Wednesday September 16th & I should be back Friday September 18th.
- Quick n Dirty‘s “Filthy 50” is coming up on October 31st… Halloween. I should be there with VH merch for sale.
- Preorder for the VH hat has started on Velo Hangar Online Store
- Tossing around an idea for a VH party/BBQ/Tapas/soiree…
That’s it for now. I promise to update sooner. Thanks for all your support!!
It’s a hashtag on Instagram, it’s something people yell when they see VH gear, it’s a motto… Viva Velo Hangar!
its been crazy busy. So busy I’ve been putting too many miles on my personal car that it made me realize I needed a dedicated work vehicle. I’ve always known what that vehicle was going to be.. It was a huge help having the Coastal Bluff van around but it was too big for what I needed. Some of you know 6 years ago when I started VH that I started looking at Ford Transit’s. It just didn’t pan out at the time. It was a no brainier what vehicle I needed 6 years later. Not to mention the styling is soooo much better!
So I’ve added 2015 Ford Transit Connect to the stable! I’m working with Lift Creative on the vehicle wrap, which should be installed soon. Chris over at Pipeline racks sold me the perfect bike hauler for the inside. Bit by bit it’s becoming the perfect bike carrier! Check out my Instagram for the before and afters..
i also have new t-shirts in stock! The Viva t’s came out great thanks to James Gilbert at GoSandbox Design for the design help, to Sean at Forward Screen Printing for the attention to detail & all of you for your unwavering support! T-shirts are still available on my online store at mkt.com/Velo-hangar
Its a brand as well. I read a book once, yeah I know, me read a book? I read a book called “Brand You”. It’s all about realizing that you are a brand just as much as the product or service you are providing. Realizing there a reason people want your wares. Providing the best and being able to adapt to what your clients require. Im not saying to give up all the control or losing your vision, I’m saying you need to listen. That adaption will bring you accolades. Always learning, always listening, always building… I’m getting a little off course.
Anyway lots of product in the works right now.
-T-shirts have been ordered and the blank are on the way to Sean @
-I am working a on a casual hat. Simple is key.
-Socks should only be a few weeks away.
-Sketches have started on the new kit. Still getting a lot of requests for the Navy kit but I need to keep things fresh. Next kit will be made by Castelli. Closer to the time the preorder opens, I’ll have a fit kit available and will be set up at Patagonia Cardiff on a Sunday for try ons.
-Next project is to update the website/online store. I have a square market store which i like because people can use their cards to buy merch but the platform is pretty basic. I also have a bigcartel account but they use paypal which not everyone has. I’m hoping to get some help soon to figure out the best platform.
Lots of bikes in the shop for repairs and as much as I want to go for a ride today, I need to get back to it.