Howdy everyone! Just wanted to reach out and let everyone know a little about what I’m working on. These will be quick & to the point, no fluff.
- I’ve been working on a new custom sock with SockGuy. The artwork will be approved this week and will go into production in awhile. These will be 6″ cuffs with a new pattern. They will definitely will stand out. Following on the heels of such great companies like Handlebar Mustache, The Athletic, etc. these will be bold graphics. Really looking forward to these. I’ll post artwork next update.
- Lots of bikes going through the stand last week. I was trying to play catch up, a couple builds and loads of drivetrain cleans and I’m back to doing what I love! Several bikes in for this week as well. Thanks so much for all the support!!
- I now have a beverage cooler in the garage so if you want to do some hill repeats on my street, I now have refreshments.
- Still organizing the garage. My first goal was to get the backlogged bikes done & delivered. I hope to get a little more organizing done this week. Still pretty dusty in there.
- I’m toying with the idea of a “Velo Hangar Cardiff” t-shirt or “VH Lives”.. either way I need to add t-shirts to my inventoy & webstore. The webstore is at www.mkt.com/velo-hangar . I have pint glasses, camelbak bottles, Rothera VH caps & Enduro Bites on there currently. I’ll be adding more VH branded goods soon, like reusable shopping bags…
- I’m driving the Coastal Bluff van around town for bulk pickups and deliveries, honk if you see me!
- Project VH 3.0 is still going through the early stages but, I’m super excited when I can unveil it…
Thats about it right now. Very excited for the future, all in good time. Thanks again for the texts, emails & phone calls! whiteout all of you i don’t know where I’d be!
So for this kit I decided to try out Castelli for the first time. Most of you have owned castelli at some point in your cycling careers and it’s always good to try new things. As you know my kit designs are always simple. I design pieces that I would wear and I’m a big fan of continuity.
These kits have a black base with color accents that are the same as the rest of my apparel. Why does that matter? I want all of my VH apparel to work together no matter what manufacturer. I also added the checkerboard pattern from my VH socks I brought out a couple months ago. If you have the socks you’ll need this kit…
Anyhoo I’ll be offering Women’s Aero Race bib & Aero Race jersey. In Men’s fit I will have Aero Race bib’s, Aero Race jersey, Team bib & Team jersey. (Aero Race jersey is basically a skin suit top i.e. Lightweight & quick drying. Aero Race bibs have a nicer pad and race fit. Team clothing fits similar to my other Team kits).
Since fit is new I’m having a Fit Kit Soirée next Sunday October 4th, 2-5p at Patagonia Cardiff. I’ll have fit kits to try on, a computer available for ordering and Sean Kneale from Castelli there to answer questions. Please join us next weekend!
Starting from scratch was a daunting move, mentally and physically. To be honest I havent really unpacked all the boxes but I pretty much had to hit the ground running to keep the momentum I had built up for the past couple years. The easiest way was to reach out to all of you in this Blog & the other social outlets (online and in person). It definitely worked. Super happy with all the feedback and interest.
I also decided I need some new soft goods. I was hoping to bring each item out so that I didnt flood the water… Everything came in within the same week, doh. When it rains it pours… VH Apparel is my fuel so i went with it.
I have an Art & Design background, so creating t-shirts & other softgoods sparks that creative side of my brain. I absolutely love working on bikes & I’m excited that I can design as well. Granted everything I come up with for VH is simple and clean (and also I get a lot of help from friends). So a couple months ago I went to work on creating some new pieces to add to the collection. I worked with Jason at SockGuy on some new hosiery, James Gilbert & Sean Tully on some new T-shirts, Sean Kneale & Castelli on a new cycling kit, Matt Conto for some VH hats and Steve Driscoll on a vehicle wrap for the VH Transit. Some of those items are for sale at the online store with some previous pieces like Camelbak bottles, pint glasses, Rothera cycling caps (caps not hats) & Handlebar Mustache Collab t’s. Many people have asked if the only way to buy is online, the answer is no. If you see me driving around in the van, I have supplies inside.
Current VH Projects
- Castelli cycling kit: Men’s and Women’s fit. Black based, there will be touches of checkerboard to go with the socks. A little different setup from the other kits but similar to the kit I designed for Trevor Glavin last year. Artwork will be posted soon when I finalize it.
- Another T-shirt is in the works. Havent decided between one of the old designs on a different blank or a new design. Time will tell. I need to take care of a few other things before those will surface.
- Transit Connect: I’m still waiting for a few pieces to arrive for the buildout. Cant wait for this to be done…
- I will be attending Interbike again this year so I will remind everyone of my days that I’ll be gone for the convention. I’ll be in Vegas Wednesday September 16th & I should be back Friday September 18th.
- Quick n Dirty‘s “Filthy 50” is coming up on October 31st… Halloween. I should be there with VH merch for sale.
- Preorder for the VH hat has started on Velo Hangar Online Store
- Tossing around an idea for a VH party/BBQ/Tapas/soiree…
That’s it for now. I promise to update sooner. Thanks for all your support!!
It’s a hashtag on Instagram, it’s something people yell when they see VH gear, it’s a motto… Viva Velo Hangar!
its been crazy busy. So busy I’ve been putting too many miles on my personal car that it made me realize I needed a dedicated work vehicle. I’ve always known what that vehicle was going to be.. It was a huge help having the Coastal Bluff van around but it was too big for what I needed. Some of you know 6 years ago when I started VH that I started looking at Ford Transit’s. It just didn’t pan out at the time. It was a no brainier what vehicle I needed 6 years later. Not to mention the styling is soooo much better!
So I’ve added 2015 Ford Transit Connect to the stable! I’m working with Lift Creative on the vehicle wrap, which should be installed soon. Chris over at Pipeline racks sold me the perfect bike hauler for the inside. Bit by bit it’s becoming the perfect bike carrier! Check out my Instagram for the before and afters..
i also have new t-shirts in stock! The Viva t’s came out great thanks to James Gilbert at GoSandbox Design for the design help, to Sean at Forward Screen Printing for the attention to detail & all of you for your unwavering support! T-shirts are still available on my online store at mkt.com/Velo-hangar
Its a brand as well. I read a book once, yeah I know, me read a book? I read a book called “Brand You”. It’s all about realizing that you are a brand just as much as the product or service you are providing. Realizing there a reason people want your wares. Providing the best and being able to adapt to what your clients require. Im not saying to give up all the control or losing your vision, I’m saying you need to listen. That adaption will bring you accolades. Always learning, always listening, always building… I’m getting a little off course.
Anyway lots of product in the works right now.
-T-shirts have been ordered and the blank are on the way to Sean @
-I am working a on a casual hat. Simple is key.
-Socks should only be a few weeks away.
-Sketches have started on the new kit. Still getting a lot of requests for the Navy kit but I need to keep things fresh. Next kit will be made by Castelli. Closer to the time the preorder opens, I’ll have a fit kit available and will be set up at Patagonia Cardiff on a Sunday for try ons.
-Next project is to update the website/online store. I have a square market store which i like because people can use their cards to buy merch but the platform is pretty basic. I also have a bigcartel account but they use paypal which not everyone has. I’m hoping to get some help soon to figure out the best platform.
Lots of bikes in the shop for repairs and as much as I want to go for a ride today, I need to get back to it.
Viva Velo Hangar… it’s been a recurring theme not just with myself but with my friends, family and all my valued clients. Heck its even got its own hashtag. All I wanted was to be able to hit the ground running after moving out of “637”. It did take a few weeks to get my head wrapped around the idea. It also took a couple weeks to reorganize the garage. It’s still not situated but that was partly do to the fact that I had a lot of repairs to finish while I moved. Nevertheless I am happy to report that VH is hopping! Lots of bikes in and out, wheel builds and other misc projects. Very thankful for that, id be losing my mind if it wasn’t. So thank you.
Everyone keeps asking about 3.0. To be honest we are in the early stages. Planning, looking for financing, builders, etc. This isn’t a quick process and I don’t want it to be. I don’t want to rush into an opportunity again. I want this to be the “right” move. Being able to literally design my own space is daunting and exciting all in the same breath.. Im excited to tell all of you the goal but like I said super early stages, we are at least a year out.
Things I’m working on
- Still working on a new t-shirt design. I have a couple different artists working on designs. Super excited to be able to unveil them. My friend local artist Dylan Stone is working on one of the designs.. very cool. He did some designs for The Coastal Bluff, Worst Case & Embry Rucker.
- Socks have been ordered. Im using SockGuy again on these. 6″ cuff, bold design, very different from my socks in the past.
- My “Mixer” bottles will be making a comeback and will be available on my online store soon!
- The last order of Navy VH kits have arrived. Everyone should have been contacted but, if you’d like to pick yours up I’ll be at Patagonia Cardiff this Friday (7/17) from 5:30- 6:30 for kit pick up. These were preorder only and there will not be any extra’s. I will be in the courtyard.
- Working on a new design for CX skin suits. My brand ambassadors will be rocking these for this season. These will be produced by Castelli. If you are interested in ordering one please email me.
I’d like to send out a huge thank you to the guys at Black Mountain Bicycles for helping me out. Same goes to Revolution Bike Shop in Solana Beach.
That’s it for right now. Time to go pick up some bikes…
Processed with VSCOcam with h1 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with e2 preset
As my friends Public Enemy would say… “Don’t believe the hype!“.
Velo Hangar is moving out of The Alternabike location at 637 Valley Avenue in Solana Beach and going back grassroots style to the original location. I have a couple irons in the fire for new locations but, nothing firm right now. I will keep everyone updated here and instagram/facebook/twitter verse…
For now if you need your bike worked on I’ll be working out of my garage. I will be picking up and delivering plus taking a few drop offs. You can reach me here firstname.lastname@example.org for the time being or giving me a call or text on the shop line.
Thanks as always!!
Processed with VSCOcam with e3 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with e3 preset
Back by popular demand I have released a preorder for the navy kit. I also designed a limited release Light Blue version of the jersey. Navy is available in Premier in Men’s jersey and bibs plus Womens jersey & bib. Navy also offers a Men’s Pro jersey and Bib plus a vest and arm warmers. The light blue jersey is only available in the Pro fit and has been limited to 20 jersey’s.
Online store is up at; neon.ridesquadra.com
The store is open till May 25th.